Sunday 16 August 2015

The tree museum

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot
...

And also. They took all the trees and put them in a tree museum.
They charged all the people a dollar and a half just to see 'em

Except I think the Kauri Museum up north charge people a lot more than $1.50. I was just thinking this when I received an email back from Ayrlies Garden. It costs $15 just to see it. Well, 'donation'. But still...

I wonder what people would pay to see my garden. I could start charging. $1? $2 for non gardeners? After all, I need to earn a living. I read in Gardens Illustrated, that people who do gardening cannot make a living from it, unless they are desperate. Then they get to the top, by sheer determination. By top, they mean, make a name for yourself as a garden designer. The article was lamenting the lack of women gardeners. Or well known ones. Well duh, I think most women don't blow their own trumpets and do it for the money. Anyway. Even though those gardens look lovely and well designed, I always think what's the point of paying someone else to have the fun of designing your garden and planting everything for you. And then paying someone to maintain it. They won't get to enjoy it would they because it isn't theirs. It's just something someone else did.

I scrap that idea of charging people to come to my garden. I don't charge the birds and butterflies, do I? Or the cats. If they want to come, they come, and I will see them and make a cup of tea and won't expect them to give me any money. I am disappointed because Bev didn't answer my email, she got someone else to. Or maybe...there is no Bev. Maybe its taken over by corporates?

She probably has a secretary, a cook, a maid, a chauffeur, a butler, a team of gardeners, an accountant...The email said to come in November. I suppose I can wait until November. It wasn't oh lovely to have you. It was more like ...remember it costs $15 and we don't care if you come or not.

I'm sorry.
I shall think of things lovely, things that are pure, things that are of good and noble report.