Friday 2 April 2021

Sisters hanging out in the garden

 Miracle! I got mum and sis to come with me to the community garden. I got sis to plant some radish and chinese veges in one of the empty beds.



I had some radish on seed tape and sis was a bit sceptical that I had 
'cheated' because it was then dead easy then to sow everything in a straight line. I said well if you want to do it the hard way and sow every single radish seed by hand and space them 10 centimetres apart you can be there all night...

I got her to water the seedlings (although this was actually to keep her busy as Lord knows if I start her on anything else I run the risk of the ire of all the other gardeners for making a mess) and then prayed for rain, and it rained that night. 


As reward for our labour, I took home some livingstone daisy seedlings and two rose cigar plants that someone had kindly potted up. Mum cut some silverbeet and we harvested a few tomatoes. 
I wrote it all down in the new 2021 diary and up on the whiteboard map of the garden.

Sis had given me the garden hunter shoes you see in the  pic that she's wearing and also the red gardening gloves. 

At school I planted some hyacinth I managed to snag the very last purple bulbs in stock at Kings. I've put them in a vase over glass pebbles and water in the library, so that in 
spring we will have glorious blooms in the reference section.

I've snuck in some purple dutch iris in Sock's bed which is now dripping with feijoas. I feel like I go on a big Easter egg hunt each time I pick them up, if easter eggs can be green look like feijoas. Hey, who said eggs have to be made of chocolate? 

It's Good Friday today and I notice my garden is now putting on a red flower show. I have pinneaple sage and red pom pom dahlias, red nerines and a red canna. Christ's blood in the garden? I know I planted them but my garden continues to surprise me by blooming all at the same time. 


I try not to surprise the other Woodside gardeners with my plantings but surely they cannot object to radish and chinese veges (it was their expired seed after all) and they are not flowers so I hope that is ok. Otherwise if I hear anything else about how I can't plant this or that I'll just add it to the growing banned plants list that I need to commit to memory.