Tuesday 13 April 2021

Ssh don't tell

 The Woodside gardeners may get a surprise come spring under the fruit trees. It's all very secret squirrel but surely they cannot object? Otherwise I've planted parsley in every corner of the raised beds because there was just no parsley at all in the garden. Shocking for a so-called kitchen garden not to have this essential garnish.

Mitre 10's cafe was offering free coffee grounds so I grabbed a bag to put inWoodside's compost. And sprinkled some in the radish bed - which has now come up, and may need to be thinned out soon. 

It does look like something other than oxalis is growing in Sock's bed - I can't tell if it's parsley, coriander, phacelia, yarrow, or something else I had scattered in there in hope of green coverage. For good measure, in case nothing else grows, I've put in sweet peas seeds, dutch iris bulbs, a globe artichoke seed head, swan plant seeds,  calendula seeds, borage seeds, geranium cuttings and ice plant cuttings. Please grow! Honestly anything is better than nothing, and even oxalis can look pretty when it flowers.

I found out there always seems to be a war on other Facebook garden groups. Garden Planet is very peaceful because I don't let just ANYONE join. They have to be gardeners and love gardening. But the others I am in always seem to be full of so-called gardeners asking 'how do I get rid of this plant??". And it will be a plant that is actually useful or pretty.  If you don't want it well you can pull it out, but it might grow back. What they are really after is complete  annihilation. 

I sometimes am tempted to comment back. YOU CAN JUST NUKE IT. 

I mean honestly, do parents post on Facebook groups 'how do I get rid of children'?' If you don't want any children...then don't do the thing that produced them in the first place...maybe?

Instead I just write. 'You can't get rid of plants. But you can get rid of yourself and go live in a concrete block if you want'. 

Uncle John is very taken with my dried statice flowers and seems inspired to grow some in his garden - which has a water feature, chickens AND rabbits. I am hoping my green fingered efforts would inspire my family to greater horticultural heights. Or even the next door neighbours.

It seems my prayers have been answered, because, even though sadly the boy next door passed away, their family decided to plant two fruit trees where the gardenia was so now we have a pear tree and a plum tree next to our driveway. One for Sparky and one for Nga. RIP.