Sunday 5 April 2020

Every high thing must come down

I have been really busy looking after New Gardenland.

Mum finally got her wish and the rusty leaning arch came down. We toppled it and piled the hardenbergia clippings by the Cleopatra Magnolia Tree to make a refuge for Martha.
Mum wasn't finished, she decided to blitz the wisteria too and we stripped it of all its leaves, and cut the dead branches off. I thinned and pruned the nearby azalea and now it seems more air can circulate and more sun round the other plants.
Dad asked me to prune the manuka so I have thinned and pruned that as well. The manuka has seeds and where I've laid the branches new manukas may come up.

JoAnne dropped by with some Dutch iris bulbs which she said would come up in October. I put them in the corner under the manuka tree. The grapevine got pruned, and I have set up all the egg trays with seed raising mix. I have made a start on growing some mushrooms - at least, I hope I'm following the instructions correctly (still no real clue on how to do it?!).

I haven't really been counting, but apparently it's day 10 of lockdown.
I have found the cure for the virus, it's not privet but if anyone has sweet wormwood or artemesia annua also known as mugwort or qing hao in Chinese medicine, you can use that to combat it. Just don't drink too much as it's very bitter.  Do not use ordinary wormwood the kind used to make absinthe. It has to be SWEET Wormwood.  You could also use quinine, but the chinchona tree doesn't grow here. The bark is used for that. Synthetic quinines have been created, but increasingly modern strains of virus and malaria have become resistant to them.

Of course, everyone is washing their hands like mad and being a bit paranoid lately, but I would rather be at home than at school right now (school holidays have been brought forward..hooray!). And I've always been a bit suspicious of kissing and handshakes anyway.

Next door I notice are growing some taro and I'm hoping they will eventually become keen gardeners too. All they need are some more veges to grow along the fence and we could swap produce. Feijoas are just coming in to season.

I have estimated I need three more fruit trees to bring my total to twelve.
1. Feijoa
2. Olive
3. Tangelo
4. Loquat
5. Peach (on it's last legs)
6. Apricot
7. Fig
8. Grape
9. Apple

the rest on the (birthday present) wishlist are...
9. lemon
10. lime
11. Sweet Mandarin
12. Plum

Extras would be - Pear, Valencia orange, Passionfruit, Banana.  If all these are planted then I will have fruit all year round! So much to do..maybe this lockdown will last a bit longer hopefully for everyone to get their gardens established for spring. Wouldn't that be wonderful??