Friday 24 April 2020

We'll always have...silverbeet

The days are flying by but I'm counting on going back to school on Tuesday for one whole hour. It's so I can take things home to continue to work from home. That is, books to read.

New Gardenland is flourishing. It really likes the extra attention paid to it. There are no dead leaves or weeds to be seen. All the plants are now happy in their places. Yesterday, I sat on the deck chair and it ripped (with me in it). Thankfully mum wasn't around to laugh but later said 'I told you so'. I am never buying anything from Trade Me again.

Mum and I went down to Woodside as Nicole had harvested some kumara for us. I trimmed the pink yarrow and added the seedheads to my garden.  I also took a few seeds that are over 4 years old, to sow. I hope they don't mind, mostly flowers. Today was Anzac Day so I sowed some poppies in the berm. My begonia is flowering as is my abutilon. Flaming red flowers. I have not forgotten.

We even have an extra day off on Monday to remember, but I get sad thinking about the horror of it all, and how none of those soldiers could come back home to be buried. So futile. If everyone stayed home and prayed, we possibly wouldn't have had such a huge death toll. And on top of that, the influenza epidemic that killed even more people than died in the battle.

I have been reading about garlic being the miracle cure of influenza. It has been proven in the past, but I wonder if it's as effective with the mutant strains we are now getting. Otherwise the vaccine is still a year away.

Easter has given us no eggs, but plenty of feijoas. I pick them up everyday and put them in egg cartons which are just the right size for them.  My neighbours have offered me lemons, and even more feijoas, which I have had to refuse. As for veges my peas have now come up, and we still have kale, and we will always, always have silverbeet.