Saturday 11 April 2020

Resurrection Day

Good news, my peas are sprouting...

People don't really give peas a chance, but peas are so important to our health and wellbeing. They can be snow or they can be sweet, they can be wasabi or mushy, or minted or buttered but wherever they go those little legumes are welcome in homes, gardens and dinner tables everywhere.

I love peas. They fix nitrogen, make a great mulch and can even be eaten raw in their pods. What is not to love?

Another vege that I love but I just can't seem to grow is eggplant. (Too cold at my place). However its the perfect food for Easter when you cannot obtain fresh eggs or chocolate, but a good eggplant gives you that satisfying vegan/vegetarian dish vibe.

For your passover seder along with your roast lamb and unleavened bread you also need some bitter herbs and there are plenty to choose from in the garden. My go to is parsley, the Italian flat leaf kind.

Surviving the ten plagues (or is it seven?) won't be easy, but I have some tips. I am not an expert, but who is at these times? Along with cinchona bark where we get quinine, sweet wormwood and oregano, other anti-viral plants include hyssop, for cleansing, eucalyptus, tea tree, sage, magnolia bark, and ginseng.

I have heard loads of rubbish given online such as bleach kills the virus, but it will kill you too if you ingest it, so I think common sense tells us to keep away from such toxic substances. Roundup kills weeds but it also kills other plants so...I don't put too much stock in what people are saying, such as drink lots of alcohol and it will kill the virus. Yea and if you don't die from it, the alcohol will kill you anyway.

Is there no balm in Gilead? Well I have plenty of lemon balm.
So let the healing of the land begin. Our planet needs gardens and gardeners, never more so than now. Get to it.