Monday 3 June 2019

Poos and perennials

One of the dirty secrets of gardening is...poo is really good for your plants. Most modern day non gardeners would shy away from it, but anyone who's in the know wouldn't spend mega bucks on  artificial fertilisers when they can get poo free - from chickens, or maybe the local pony club, or your friendly sheep farmer (if you know where they live). Or your worm workers.

Poo is basically digested plants coming out the other end which makes minerals and nutrients available to the earth. When it breaks down or is composted, it enlivens the soil because of the good microbes in it. I've put a whole lot of pony poo onto my freshly planted lemon tree, as well as CPP - the cow pat pit, to get it off to a really good start. I've removed some to the budding fruit so it will put more energy into growth first for more fruit later on when it's stronger. 

Mum has given me some garlic and spring onions to plant so I've put those in the poo-enriched ground along with Jerusalem artichokes. People say Jerusalem artichokes spread and don't want them but I'm all for some spreading plants these days to out spread the kikuyu. It will be perfect for my bare patch under next doors cabbage tree, where nothing much is growing except rampant applemint. I let that one go wild a bit to smother the creeping buttercup. A smotherer to smother the other smotherer. So far seems to be winning, and there seems to be less creeping buttercups and kikuyu. Hooray. I've also put in a line of ex St Giles cannas in hopes that that too, will keep the creeping buttercup at bay.

My next project in the works - and I have been given the go ahead by Dad, is for a garden border outside our front door where a whole strip of narrow lawn is going to be transformed with perennials.
I have yet to decide on the starring plants, but I'm leaning toward yarrows, perhaps parsley, and maybe ornamental alliums if I can find them. Or maybe ajugas and more lambs ears, or catmint. The plants  have to complement the  purple wisteria thats already there, and the azalea. They can't be too high and they need to be permanent perennials by the path. It gets full sun but it also does get a bit boggy so dry loving coastal plants like rosemary and hebes and rock roses aren't going to work. 

So I'm going to be dreaming up combinations while Mum and Dad are going away to London to visit Queen Glennis for three weeks. If by miracle I hope to get it started and planted up before they get back to surprise them. I'm hoping something will work and there's no danger of it being mowed over while they are away because I'm not planning on doing any mowing at all. 

So..let the dreaming begin.