Monday 12 December 2022

There's no place like home

 Garden is looking 'da bomb' i.e everything is in bloom...and dad cut the lawn so it's looking perfectly tidy and clipped. I had an attack of hay-fever on windy days when the grass is in flower elsewhere, but my garden is allergy friendly.

I'm compiling a wishlist of plants so Secret Santa has some idea of what to drop by our NEW letterbox we installed this year. 

The shortlist - 

hippeastrums 

dichondra silver falls

dymondia margaretae groundcover

pink orchid cymbidium

cattleya (in bloom)

more catmint edging

purple osteospermum 

blue lobelia

You'd think I'd have enough plants for Australia (or Africa)  but there's always a unique treasure that catches my eye. I could make a long list of all the plants I tried to but couldn't grow in my garden...it doesn't bear thinking about all the ones that didn't survive. 

Good news though, with the studio move and perhaps changes to my job situation next year, I may be able to resume Garden Planet! Fingers crossed my co-host may become available. Karyn's had quite a year too what with her garden being renovated and all. 

The pohutakawas are now in bloom - they'll probably be over by Christmas day but I have some Christmas lilies poking through now. There's still one house in our street that does Christmas lights every year but I don't know if I can sleep and wait for the second coming of Santa Claus with all those lights on. 

Otherwise everything seems ticking along fine. At school the sunflowers have bloomed although they looked a bit pitiful in the thin soil of Ranui. I think a lot of work needs to be done working that clay and cleaning up that area that was full of woolly nightshade and probably a dumping ground for lawn chemicals and roundup spray. I miss Rosemary the gardener and hope she's keeping well. The irises she gave me are now by the driveway and will be coming into bloom next year. 

I'd be making a case for plants in every classroom...something has got to absorb all the carbon dioxide the children are breathing out constantly! However it is near the end of the year so everyone is winding up/wrapping up. It's always a mad rush at the end and yet we always do it every year. Maybe those covid times where we had to stay home were  a blessing after all. After all there's no place like home for the holidays...!