Sunday 18 December 2022

Lady Ga-den

 School is nearly out, and I'm out too. That is..I may be imagining things, but apparently I am not welcome back at primary school next year as I have graduated and am too smart for it. The children were sad to see me go, but the ones going on to Intermediate want me as their librarian next year. 

This will take some wrangling to do. I have never walked into a school before, and announced that I will be taking over their disused and neglected library. However, I have done the same thing with gardens, and usually it has been appreciated. What can they do, throw books at me?

Anyhow I can't think about that right now. Now the sweet peas have gone to seed, other gaps are appearing in the garden plus it's Monday, watering day for the community garden and I better get cracking before the sun bakes the ground. 

The lychnis I rescued from school have put on quite a show and also are now going to seed so have cut a few down to seed by the back fence. The accounts lady will be looking after the library indoor plants by hanging them outside her office. I have been asked to return the feathery asparagus fern back to JoAnne  and the puppets back to Joyce. I'll be providing refuge for the Holy Family and the Wonky Donkey. 

Mr Muggs will be looking after the library for me. He is the library cat. Mum found him in the op shop and I secretly rescued him for her for $2. He was very happy to be the new kaitiaki of the library and is even has his own picture book, illustrated by Dave Gunson. He is going to be working with the Lucky Pig, who was found on Lincoln Road. The Man Who Ate Lincoln Road would be happy to know there is now a Yum Cha Book Restaurant in Ranui. When that book was published, there were no Yum Cha restaurants except a Chinese one next to Hell's Pizza and Burger Fuel called Nood Les restaurant. Steve Braunias would be happy to know that Valentines is now gone Gagnam Style. The last time he went there, he dined at Valentines ALONE. 

Who dines at Valentine's alone?? It seems crazy journalists do. Perhaps he didn't have much to do that year, though I suggest a new project for Mr Braunias, he go visit all the school libraries in West Auckland, and report on what he finds. 

One of the teachers who hosted our staff Christmas party has goldfish and a fountain in her garden. It's also full of hydrangeas, Japanese maple, hippeastrums and other gorgeous plants from the previous occupant, who was a gardening widow. The property is on a ridge which I now call Teacher's Row since two other staff members also have their homes there. As I am in the valley I don't get a view of the Sky Tower, Warehouse or Fresh choice supermarket, but you can go up to their place and see for miles. 

Anyhow must get to watering those thirsty plants. Jacqui gave me a courgette, which promptly got eaten by snails. However, choko is thriving.