Tuesday 27 December 2022

Summer Gathering

 I'll be away for about five days on a great kiwi road trip up North...perhaps there will be some gardens along the way? I'm not sure but I've got to trust God will water my garden while I am away, for I doubt Mum will do it.

Here's a list of what's growing at Woodside, so a sneak peak of what we will have to harvest later on -

Courgette

Sweet Corn

Beans

Strawberries

Celery

Kumara

Choko

Asparagus

Tomatoes

Lettuce

Broccoli

Chillies

Capsicum

Silverbeet

Spring Onion

Globe Artichoke

Garlic chives

Goji Berry

Sunflowers

Peas

Rhubarb

Raspberries

Pears

Figs

At home I planted two hippeastrums in pots and some silver dichondra falls in pots. The petunias got eaten by slugs, as did the marigold and the verbena isn't looking that great. Strawflowers I put in spring also mysteriously disappeared, though statice is now showing its face. Otherwise all I need to do is chop and drop for now. Kings have their Boxing Day 30% off all plants sale but that just means they are normal prices because retailers generally mark everything up 50% anyway. And it's the wrong time of year to be establishing anything. 

So I haven't spent my $100 Christmas pay packet. Mum took offence that I called her gift 'my Christmas pay packet' as she'd said I'd done nothing to earn it. She told me I had to hide it away and not spend it. I considered buying a lucky bamboo to put in the Yum Cha Book Restaurant but then I remembered - I don't work there anymore. 

A librarian without a library is like a gardener without a garden. I am not sure what to do now but I will go away and have a think about it, with my box of summer reading National Library books that nobody borrowed from school.