Tuesday 5 April 2022

Farewell Sid

 My garden club is so old that it's now not uncommon for members to pass away every couple of months. Last Thursday  it was Jane's husband, Sid who has now gone to the place prepared for him. I shall miss his kindness and patience and faithfulness as he would come with Jane to pick me up for garden club meetings every month in his big car as I was along the way.  He'd go to the gym in the meanwhile and then return to drop me home afterward. 

He was a quiet guy who kept a big rambly garden with chickens and bees. I spent a day gardening (or more pruning and weeding!)  with him, though he was never rude enough to say he didn't want me back he gave me a job when I needed it, and also, was one of the few who came and actually bought a book from the bookshop when I worked there. I remember it was Heart of the West The History of Henderson. He said he'd already read all the beekeeping books. 

Jane was always winning the prizes for the best produce on club night. But I think that was really under Sid's care though he never entered in our contests himself. 

As the garden club is mostly women, when he was there it made a difference, and he always came on the garden trips with us. What a faithful husband he was as he was always by Jane's side. He reminded me of Treebeard in Lord of the Rings. Quiet and venerable.  He was 84 years old.  Rest in Peace Sid.