Monday 18 April 2022

The Joy of Gardening

Brother Vincent's 'Titanic' gladioli

They don't look like they are sinking! I'd given him the bulbs for Christmas. 


 Dad took some more pics of my gazanias. They are so pretty and coveted that I caught my Uncle trying to dig them up on one visit. Mum had said he could have one but I was like noo! You can buy six at a time from Mitre 10 and they are cheap as chips. 

I'm gearing up for another Garden Club night, although there aren't much more flowers to be had at this time of year, though there are plenty of feijoas. Thankfully none have succumbed to dreaded myrtle rust. 

There is also going to be a visit to Roselea Gardens up in Riverhead which I am very much looking forward to. 

School has given me an Easter gift of Kings Plant Barn vouchers...and I am happy to report I made a tidy profit on the bulbs, even though they are not delivered yet! 

So I have got some money to spend although only enough for one sheep. Did I tell you how much I would like a lamb or two to graze our garden and provide us with sheep manure? Mum could also use the wool to knit a scarf or two..

I've been reading Lynda Hallinan's latest tome 'The Joy of Gardening'. What can I say it was very much a joy to read, and eye candy to look at as well. I suspect a lot of people aren't actually cut out for hard-copy journalism either and prefer to get the news on when to best put in your potatoes and what to do with the seasonal gluts rather than who is fighting who over who over which piece of land is theirs (Ukraine vs Russia - sort it out!) So lucky Lynda has found that she's very blessed to have any land at all. 

I know my eyes glaze over in boredom every time someone laments over property prices. How can you put a price on it really I never really got that.. The plants want to grow on it and we are going to be buried in it one day. Doesn't it belong to everyone?