Sunday 9 October 2016

Spring is here!

My garden is coming to life!
I noticed some of the sweet peas are now budding.

Since I've been away the rains have drenched the soil and we've had a few thunderstorms to blow the cobwebs away and add nitrogen blast, and everything is now coming away. There are Dutch iris with purple and white blooms, peach blossom, hellebores, daffodils, snowflakes, lavender, nasturtiums, ajuga, bluebells, wisteria and numerous other blooms making an appearance.

The fruit trees are leafing out with new growth as well as the jacaranda and jasmine. All over the country, there are spring garden festivals of tulips and daffs, orchids, azaelas and rhodos, you name it, the flower will probably have its own festival. Although I haven't really seen an agapanthus festival yet. But I'm sure other lillies might have them.

My next project is to find two stepping stones as they have both become puddle stones and they are no good if we want to hang our washing and have dry feet.
I also probably am going to plant more carex to edge the bed where there's a dip and its become a bog. I tried primulas but they never lasted long.

Yates sent me tomato seeds for National Garden Week (Had no idea we had one) which were the 'mortgage lifter' variety. Well thankfully I don't have a mortgage anymore so I gave them to the neighbours in hopes this might spur them to continue on with their vege garden, which I see contains weeds and potatoes at the moment.

I still am pondering the merits of having a raised vege bed in the backyard but I notice the trend is now for something called hugelkultur which is a more organic way of cultivating veges. This comprises of lots of rotten logs mounded up with earth instead of edged rectangular beds that are very pricy and basically just large containers. The logs inside the mounds release fungi and beneficial organisms into the soil and the mounds allow sunlight to fall onto the veges for maximum growth.

Also drainage is much better among these raised mounds and there is less digging involved. So I am going to look into that a bit more before I start the earthworks.