Thursday 16 December 2021

School's out!

 Hooray I can get back to gardening again now school is out. And maybe Karyn and I can do more Garden Planet episodes. We are meant to be moving to a new studio next year in Mt Albert, as the old villa is earmarked for destruction since the Unitec campus is getting a housing development. It used to be the old matrons house when Carrington Mental Hospital was operating. Of course I am no stranger to insanity....

Thankfully my brain wasn't taxed too much this year thanks to over 4 months of Auckland lockdown. It meant I could read all the books I liked and no forced studying. I don't really know how all the children got along without any school and watching everything on tv!  My plants in the library have been given a water and they should survive for another six weeks. I've only got super tough plants - spider plants, aloe vera, Mother in Law's tongue and hoya. 

The first gardenia of the season poked through and smells divine. I wonder if I can make gardenia water or perfume? Would it work? Seems such a shame that the flowers do not last all that long. A pink lily has flowered by the driveway - plus another Christmas Lily that looks like a gramophone trumpet. 

Mum had some complaints of 'plants in the way' so I have moved a couple of plants to new spots in the garden. Big silver fern is now by the loquat and hen and chickens fern is underneath. Libertia is now near the lavender. Some of my pumpkin seeds have come up.  I had to sacrifice more spider plants to make room but they multiply so much I don't think I'll ever be without any. One I have given to Rita as a house/flat warming gift. 

This is a bit secret squirrel but I don't think my brothers ever read this blog so I can say here..I found gladioli bulbs called 'Titanic' so that will be one Christmas present and the other will be the book '1001 gardens you should see before you die'. I'm hoping that if ever we can travel again my brothers will shout me on a round the world trip (especially to China or Japan) to see the gardens there, and then maybe see Kew Gardens and my sister on the way, as well as Monet's Garden in France, and the Butchard Gardens in Canada.  Never know, could happen. Could take the Packard along. When we all win lotto, as my Bonus Bonds only amounted to $70.70.

The other Christmas miracle am hoping for is  a new letterbox since the snails are now eating all my mail. 

Dad took some photos. A couple of Monarch butterflies, my trumpet lily, pohutakawas, Mummy Cat on the grass...and of course, the tram with pohutakawas at MOTAT.