Friday 31 December 2021

New Year

 The calendar has been changed..it's now what, the 7th year of Rambling Garden Diary? How time has flown!  Planet FM radio host Hector and his wife visited New Gardenland and we bonded at the Plant Barn over hibiscus and milkshakes. It looks like I may have a spot on his show as he may have on mine...when we can get to the studio that is. Garden Planet is on hiatus until we move premises so Karyn and I can catch our breaths and not Covid. Or Omicron, as it is now called.

The summer has turned out to be a long warm one, and I have many flowers flourishing. Each time one flowers I point it out to dad. He's given up taking photos of ME and now takes them of my flowers instead. That is good because I never was exactly photogenic, but flowers are and don't mind being photographed. 

Though I am more inclined to pick them because a photo cannot give you the smell.. so our vases are full. I have also taken to drying them and pressing them. I am also experimenting with making 'Monoi' oil out of the gardenias. Except I do need coconut oil instead what I have which is olive oil, but needs must. We don't have any vodka which can also be used to preserve gardenia scent. 

Kings Plant Barn have their annual 25% off sale ...I have been very restrained, and only bought red gazanias as they won't need a lot of water, to plant by the driveway. Of seasonal plants we had our Christmas lilies, and also ornamental peppers that I gave to the twins, which are of all different colours - orange, yellow, red, green, purple and white, all on the one plant.  They make very good Christmas decorations I must say. 

I must look back on my list and perhaps snag a kalanchoe or two. The prices for variegated house plants have gone a bit nuts - ranging from $99.99 for a small trailing plant and up to $159.99 for hoya. Though good old spider plant which I have plenty of at home doesn't fetch so much...I wonder if plant breeders decide they want to add red striped spider plants whether that will put prices up though I have never seen any. 

Some of the stars in my garden show...

Hibiscus

Yellow Lily

Pink Lily

Canna lily 
Apples growing from Crimson Spire