Tuesday 9 November 2021

Ouch

 I'm off work for the week - was stung by a nasty wasp on my foot when I was weeding out the applemint! Note to self - don't garden in bare feet! 

I am not going to post a photo of the hideousness it has left, suffice to say, my left foot now looks like an elephants bubble wrapped balloon toy! 

Christmas has come a bit early, thanks to Saint Jacqui, who left some sweetcorn seeds in my decaying/rotting letterbox, in exchange for lettuce seeds in the new Woodside letterbox (that I rescued from the dump). Mike has also been leaving a constant supply of avocados and lemons, for which me and mum are very grateful for, as it relieves the monotony of having baked beans for lunch in lockdown. Oh well, it's better than carrots everyday for school lunch! 

Yates should have known by my last name that I was not going to be a fan of lettuce and sent me Chinese cabbage, chives or bok choy instead. I had sent away for free seeds for National Gardening Week (meant to be in October) for which we are meant to plant an extra row, and give the produce to charity. However, I don't think many people really like lettuce, it doesn't fill you up that much. To me it's just something people put on hamburgers to say they've eaten something green...

I think I'd rather eat taro or kumara leaves than crunchy watery raw lettuce sorry. Speaking of taro, I have divided some clumps at Woodside and now half of them are in my little pond garden I've made out out of a pot near the tangelo tree. The extras are gracing the ditch that leads to the creek. 

Back to my cleared garden, which has now had a lot of pumpkin seeds thrown at it (will they grow? who knows?), I've been thinking if I ever get to Rogers after lockdown ends ... I need some ground cover plants that are good weed suppressors. I have two in mind that might work or at least crowd out the creeping buttercups - alchemia mollis aka Lady's Mantle, and helichrysum aka licorice plant. I've grown furry licorice plant before and know it spreads into a huge bush but I think it could work against the back fence. 

Anyway I am itching to get to the Garden Centre..literally. But I can't until this swelling comes down My foot  looks like it's going to burst at any moment. It could be worse, I suppose. But people may think I've got covid anyway with all the sneezing thanks to hayfever. I've had to make sure that no grass grows tall enough to flower because that sets me right off.  Arrrgh.