Monday 15 February 2021

Homestay


 Ah, home sweet home. 

Thanks to Level 3 lockdowns, we get to stay at home in Auckland for at least 3 days. It's my third Monday in a row I've had off. 

But that's ok as the rain has started and the humidity is up. We ate all the peaches Golden Queen provided this year, before the worms got to them.

My courgette has fruited and is bursting, though I made a horrible mistake of caging it (to prevent being dug up by Martha) and now its kinda being strangled by the cage when I forgot to remove it. 

As you can tell Martha is a bit oblivious to any damage she does to plants and believes she is 'helping' Her plant ID is not that great! 


Aside from that, I've weeded the driveway garden and removed most of the spider plants. Swan plants are rapidly sprouting. At school, the spider plants did survive and perked up after a drink of water. 

I visited Kings Plant Barn on the weekend looking for a Kaffir Lime but they didn't have any in stock, neither did Mitre 10. I want to grow one in a pot and harvest the leaves for my new-found interest in Thai and Vietnamese cuisine. For that I need ingredients like chilis, lemon grass, galangal and thai basil. Mum is rather skeptical about me learning any cooking, but how can I reasonably make anything without having the proper ingredients? 

For some strange reason, just because I'm female, I'm meant to magically know how to cook a perfect meal from absolutely nothing, when I have never been trained as a chef or had any experience in the kitchen. Now, if I had been given say $100 and been directed to go buy a weeks worth of food with it and my own kitchen and tools to mess around in and use, maybe I might actually be interested in learning and creating. But Mum always jealously guards her kitchen like a hawk and resents any time I attempt to make anything. She won't eat anything I make either, without a whole barrage of complaints, so I've just learned to live on mousetraps and instant noodles when she's not around. 

It's Chinese New Year and my lucky red packet money IS burning a hole in my pocket. No crayfish and no kaffir limes on sale, so I'm saving for a rainy day I guess. Or the Woodside Road garage sale which is apparently this Saturday.

I don't know if we'll go back to work though with the Covid still making the rounds. I'm not too worried though, as the vaccine roll out is just around the corner. 

I saw one of my naked ladies flowers made an appearance down the back, maybe it was Mother Nature giving me a Valentines flower, though I also had two droopy roses and lots of catnip enough for a bouquet. My moon calendar indicates its the best time to plant, so, if we have a few more days in lockdown I might be able to create another garden.