Saturday 27 February 2021

Bounty from the garden

 

We got grapes, one apple and the naked lady lilies are flowering. 

We had a respite from lockdown for 2 weeks back to work but then last night it was announced Auckland would have 7 more days of lockdown so I might be able to extend the garden at home after all. 

Certainly everyone seems to expect that I have more time for gardening (and to do theirs) down at Woodside on Monday evenings but I can't promise I will bring ten sacks of compost, weed the entire plot or even do any extreme makeovers - I just will be there, in case anyone needs any help wondering what this or that plant is. Maybe I will just pick the flowers. Certainly they do need picking! Though it doesn't seem likely now because it's level 3 right and we all need to stay home. 

I've got Peruvian lilies that need planting and a few dahlia tubers, but otherwise, the weather has been summery, so it's generally just long days of watching figs and feijoas ripen and watering the pot plants in the cool of the evening. 

Some might have assumed that I do floral displays and such but I have to disabuse them of that notion that I am any kind of floral artist. My floral arrangements are mostly bunches to put in a vase, or posies in a jar. I dry flowers but I don't make any pictures or wreaths or garlands. 

Nor am I any kind of writer, dancer, musician or illustrator. I have no ambition to be published or have my name in lights or any of the things that people commonly assume about me. 

Marcus Tuillius Cicero famously said -  If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. 

My own garden is admittedly small, and so is my library, but I have both and its true I have everything I need. So don't worry about me over lockdown.