Wednesday 3 June 2020

Birthday Queen

Coming out of lockdown hasn't been easy as there is less time for gardening. We had much needed rain last week, most of the autumn leaves have fallen, and Cleopatra Magnolia is now showing of her deep purply-pink buds.

The manuka offcuts actually came in handy as mulch for my vege bed - the leaves are scratchy which means Martha has not had the opportunity to dig up my garden. So far my cabbages are safe.
Dad has also been careful not to mow down my lupins and poppies on the berm. I think he doesn't want to risk upsetting me again...

Otherwise all is quiet on the Western Front.

On Queen's birthday as a treat went with mum to Kings Plant Barn, to have morning tea at their cafe and look around. Kelly Tarltons did not want to have us and so I thought where else in Auckland can we go on this public holiday that is not a crowded mall? My thoughts were toward the Wintergarden but on the way passed by Remuera Kings Plant Barn and so went and communed with the plants I hadn't seen in ages. I noted mum seemed keen on a persimmon tree, but none were to be found.
Palmers Garden Centre is just a few blocks down as well but I've always been partial to Kings  as they don't try and sell you $9999 hot tubs as well. On my list is potting mix to repot our plants as a task to do.

After a birthday curry chicken pot pie and hot chocolates (contact registered and hand sanitised) and breathing in the oxygenised atmosphere  I drove through the Auckland Domain only to find every car park near the Wintergarden was taken.

Oh well perhaps another time. I had always thought it would be a lovely venue for a wedding, but the upcoming nuptials this year of Karyn and Pierre are going to be at their church in town. She hasn't seemed to ask for any maids or flowergirls yet and I have no official invitation...otherwise, I haven't had much to do florally as my Floral Club has not been meeting for several months. It seems I am on the committee now, which means, I get a say in organising the next big trip.

We are thinking Tauranga or maybe Waiheke Island Garden Safari. So that is something else to look forward to, travel wise. I am not really missing the outside of NZ world at all. My garden survived, nobody died, and I am still sane.

JoAnne did ask me what she should do to kill a caterpillar,  that was eating her bird of paradise plant but I just said use your thumbs or let the birds eat them if you don't want a beautiful butterfly. I thought to myself maybe she hadn't read the last part of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and what a strange question to ask me. I'm sure that it could spare a few leaves and it wasn't eating cabbages which we want to eat ourselves so why not leave it? But then I'm not the kind of gardener who goes after the caterpillars when Martha can do a much better job than I can of eating them.