Thursday 9 February 2023

Get your $10 Potting Mix!

 Mum saw an ad in the Herald - Palmers Garden Centre in Remuera had $10 potting mix. 35 Litres of Yates Premium so we swooped in and bought two bags. 

It might be the only Palmers left in Auckland now but it's still going strong. Ok my loyalty to Kings and Mitre 10 is beginning to waver. I still had my green Palmers reward card in my wallet. The cafe was selling sweet and savoury tempting treats. There were orchids, fruit trees, ferns, a packed gift shop, perennials, severed Buddha heads.. but every time I asked for something they didn't have it. No Lady's Mantle sorry and no Moon Calendar. Does that mean I have to go all the way to Puriri Lane again? Many of the staff looked elderly like it was their retirement job. I wonder if that will be me  when schools decide they don't want librarians anymore. 

I bought a picture book though, it was called 'Who said kiwis can't fly?' Yes they were selling books, and they even had a little info centre that was lined with gardening reference books that the staff used. It wasn't all Material Safety Data Sheets. 

Wasn't it Cicero who once said 'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' ? 

Yes but who was Cicero? According to Wikipedia - Marcus Tullius Cicero was 'a Roman statesman, lawyer, scholar, philosopher, and academic skeptic, who tried to uphold optimate principles during the political crises that led to the establishment of the Roman Empire"

Huh. I don't think 'optimate' is even a word but it does say his cause of death was 'Beheaded by order of Marc Antony'. 

Hmm maybe he had a few enemies....

This coming storm tropical cyclone warning for Sunday doesn't look good. I'll have to get my gardening all in before it swoops in and lashes the plants. 

My Mitre 10 Makeover plan may have to wait. After my reconnaissance mission yesterday I had a think and ideas started popping into my brain. If I don't write them down soon they may explode. But that's another post.