Saturday 25 February 2023

Garden + Library

 It looks like my part of the world will be Garden Planet after all. We won't be recording many more shows as now I am too busy with my new full time term time job at Sunderland School as librarian. So I am taking my plants with me and now spiderman spider plants are now hanging out on the shelves. The library had only fake plants before so of course I had to remedy this. 

Sorry Mitre 10! I won't be forklifting plastic bags of compost or selling bottles of Round up. Instead I've blagged some begonias off cousin Winnie, and I'm only going to Mitre 10 for garden club raffle prizes. Last Tuesday the winners scored gerberas, platycodons, basil, a windchime and a Kids Mitre 10 DIY birdhouse. Cenny took over the best blooms table where my red hippeastrums won second place. Next to this giant sunflower. 


I ordered a moon calendar from Puriri Lane and it has now arrived, telling me that now is the most prolific time for planting. If only I had time to do it. Maybe after I get this library organised, which is annoying me as all the books were all over the place in a strange order  and I was tripping over books and people and wires just to get anywhere. I also have monkeys in the library I need to tame (with bananas?) who like swinging and sliding down the bannisters.

It's either monkeys or gorillas or rabbits.  Half my potted plants are now by the stairs and I have my office in the cupboard under the stairs which could either be magical or a torture chamber depending on how big your imagination is. But the Sunderland students are very forgiving of me as their new librarian rearranging everything though not as huggy as the Ranui children. They like the same books though. 

We had another heavy rain warning on Friday but managed to escape being flooded out again though why it had to rain near 5pm just as I was heading home I don't know, but my car made it through the flash flooded roads instead of me attempting to swim or walk on water. 

I surprised Rita last week by giving her my hanging trough baskets to put on her new balcony and we did a detour to Palmers (where I won $10 in Palmer's Rewards) for some plants and more $10 potting mix so now she now has no excuse not to exercise her green thumbs. Palmers had some lady's mantle hidden away under the shade house so they are now relocated in my garden as part of my waterproof super combo border of taro, nasturtiums and lady's mantle.