Thursday 16 August 2018

Help!

So much gardening to do, so little time.
Today I got a random call. I don't know how people are getting my number, but once they know I'm a gardener, I have people ringing me up wanting me to work for them. I never used to have this as a librarian. People didn't ring me up and ask me to sort their books or for recommendations. Or read stories to them. Perhaps they figured I was too busy.

But now, I find people are thinking because I'm a gardener they just assume I don't have anything to do except garden for other people. Maybe they think if I am not actually mowing a lawn or weeding I must be going crazy twiddling my thumbs. It could be people have this idea that gardeners just hang about in gardens lying in hammocks but will  instantly come running if there's a garden that needs attention because we can't bear the fact that a garden is not gardened. Well not instantly but I understand the urgency. You've let your garden go. If nobody comes to rescue it soon, your very reputation is at stake. How can you face your maker when there's weeds in your lawn and trees blocking your light, it just won't do will it? Unlike a house that slowly deteriorates little by little, falling to bits and leaking but it will just be like every other damp house in Auckland, but leave a garden or lawn for a week or two in Auckland you will hardly recognise it because everything just grows 'like Topsy'.

However I am very busy every single day with all the gardens I've been assigned to look after plus have several things on my growing waiting list of things to do. Such as--

Install hammock, although slack lines have become all the rage between trees, I prefer hammocks.
Plant Lily of the Valley shrub, or Pieris. I have discovered this is lovely for floral arrangements.
Remove tree prunings from church.
Build up compost bin at church.
Plant church bedding.
Extend my flower border at home.
Find bog salvias.
Plant potatoes in lasagna bed.
Continue carpeting driveway with spanish shawl, or pratia, or the tough creeping ficus that can be driven over.
Find a home for coloured flax and astelias.
Install peace lilies at church. For air conditioning and general oxygenation properties.
Plant another olive tree. I just think I need two because one is the loneliest number.
Pot up more spider plants.
Prune my climbing rose.
Cut back pineapple sage.

In meantime am enjoying my spring blossoms. White Hardenbergia 'free and easy' has frothed all over my arch and Cleopatra Magnolia has burst forth in brilliant magenta on Mt Asher, with primula at her feet. Daffodils are making a cheery yellow appearance. Rosemary also is sprouting delicate blue flowers and hellebore is coming away. I even have pink bergenias. Spring has come forth!

By the way my hammock theory is as yet untested because I am waiting on my trees to grow tall enough so I can hang a hammock beneath them. But I do think there ought to be an emergency number for gardeners you can ring like 111 instead of Police, Ambulance or Fire Department you can also have the option of Garden Department, for example if someone is threatening to cut down your favourite tree and you can call this number to put a stop to this crime, and report rogue lawn mowers and pruning crimes, as well as rescuing vulnerable plants from abuse and neglect. You can also arrange same day emergency flower delivery for weddings, funerals and missed anniversaries. Plus if your plant dying you can ask for a Plant Doctor what is wrong if you suspect a disease or exposure to roundup poisoning, as all roundup and weedkillers ought to be strictly monitored, it's a health and safety hazard you know. If there was a number I could give you I would for a garden helpline. Just not mine because...I am too busy gardening to answer my phone.