Wednesday 1 March 2017

Miracle?!

Funnily enough yesterday I got called for a job interview for a landscaping company, to be a general garden hand on a casual basis. So it seems, I may be able to employ worm workers after all!
I am still waiting on the contract but I need to get my gardening boots (my pink warehouse ones won't cut it, they need to be steel toed) and black shorts (so it doesn't show the dirt).

Hooray!

I have been reading Sepp Holzers 'Rebel Farmer' memoir about how he battled authorities in Austria to run his permaculture farm Kramerterhof  and it has got me thinking could I do that? Or is it better to just marry a farmer and be the wife and then go about producing children? (Who can then work on the farm). Who would want to sell, or better yet, gift their farm to me? I am hardly farm material, but then many people who were never farmers in their life have now sold their expensive city properties and bought lifestyle blocks and to return to living off the land. Even Lynda Hallinan - NZ Gardener Editor - did it. Although partly because she married a country boy who had land. Ah prospecting.

However, this won't work for me because I do not know any eligible farmers. Perhaps I can do a feasibility study, but then, that's a lot of work. I have trouble even finding jobs in the city and enough bread to feed the worms than to even entertain the idea of running a  40 acre permaculture farm.

After I finished that book and the Permaculture Handbook I am putting it on the shelf to rest for a while. I am going to be braindumped with a load of information on Saturday and am only up to Permaculture Principle 7: Design from Patterns to Detail
Can't see the wood from the trees

This has got me thinking of our Trees for Babies orchard at Woodside. I am going to make it part of my design project to grow more in this area. We had a meeting on Monday for Woodside and I've applied for funding to have more timber for our raised beds. I'm also looking at carpet for mulch. Especially our old carpet. I wonder if Mum will notice if it goes? Martha has already fertilised it.

Myra's garden had a going over and now nasturtiums are growing where the kikuyu was. So that's a relief. I only needed to pull out a few stray rhizomes. I'm not sure I really understand Myra's situation as she finds it incredibly hard to let go of things. I got in trouble for clipping dead leaves off one of her plants. Which I'm sure will grow back that's why I did it. Oh well. I have no idea what she will do with all the scrap in her yard since the conman bilked her out of it.  Louise and I do not have the resources or manpower to clear it for her..so it looks a sight for sore eyes at the moment. The only bright spot in that corner is a pink geranium growing out of the scrap pile.