Thursday 18 May 2023

Mother's Day



 My home was turned into a florist shop over the Mothers Day/Birthday weekend. And karaoke night club...Nina gave me flowers, Loretta, an anti-stress colouring book with felts, Rita, lavender potpourri, and numerous other special and much treasured gifts - even a wacky desk dude from Cushla's girls. 

I am not sure what to do about the desk dude...but I have to do something about the $10 Kings Plant Barn voucher that needs to spent in a fortnight from my birthday. So I am writing it down here so I remember...Although I cannot think what more could I buy from Kings when every nook and cranny seems to be filled up now. Maybe I will treat someone else? 

Garden Club night was all about Makutu Link which is a new reserve out in Bethell's wetland that has a boardwalk and native plant restoration and predator free status for the endangered bitterns and ducks that make their home there. It was on one of the garden rambles that Louise and I missed out on so am hoping that one fine day we'll get to explore the area a bit more. 

Otherwise garden wise I'm not doing much more than sow peas and wait for spring. Flowers were few and far between, the only pickings for club night from my garden were from mexican sage. However thanks to my Mothers Day bounty of cut flowers that had been hothoused (Nobody can grow tulips in Auckland at this time of year) I managed to make a placing in the floral arrangement that was themed 'keep Mum' --basically flowers in a teapot. 

But no I'm not about to become a full-time florist anytime soon. I'm always getting advice from old ladies saying why don't I do (their) gardening again and I'm like are you nuts at this time of year I am not getting all muddy so you can keep your garden tidy while I do all the work and you take all the credit for paying me. 

I just say that in my head, not out loud. 

Who knows, I may be back on Garden Planet, I hear Karyns taking time out at school (Massey Primary) to look after their garden, which are raised beds underneath the shadiest pohutakawa trees, as if raised beds needed to be in the shade. Obviously nobody sought to consult an actual gardener about the site of their school garden. It was the same at Ranui, their gardens were also in the shade, underneath woolly nightshade...or in expensive vege pods that were too high for the juniors to reach. At Sunderland there were two folorn empty beds growing weeds just outside of the library and I'm like get Garden to Table in already! Then the kids would have something to do that didn't involve video gaming or playing tiggy/hide n' seek/chasey in the library. 

But I forgot...school is meant to be boring.