Tuesday 25 April 2023

Lest We Forget

 ANZAC Day was spent in the garden. I wasn't particularly up at dawn that day, and there were no poppies, just some fighter jets zooming overhead but I did have a field day planting and planting and planting.  I did it especially because if I don't do it I will forget and the plants from Rogers will languish in their pots. I can't be one of those gardeners that just buys plants all the time and leaves them in pots all over the place with the tags still on them and not actually create a garden with them. A certain brother does this...I'm not mentioning any names of course. 

So almost all the plants have found homes though I had to do a lot of rearranging - just like in a library, and some weeding, so the weed pile is quite high but I made sure it was behind the garage where nobody can see and so dad doesn't come and chuck all weeds in the reserve in his attempt at 'keeping the lawn swept' and get in trouble with my neighbour, David, who is planting natives in the reserve.

Three penstemons are left to find homes and I can't decide where they ought to go. I'm kind of wanting to remove the cream dietes that have attracted those sticky brown moths  when they flower but I know it will be a HUGE job to remove them. Removing clumps of aristea was bad enough even though they actually have a better flower, to make room for bearded iris under the Cleopatra magnolia. Watsonia I've flung to the back of the borders because it really does flower extremely tall. 

Blue Pansies I won from raffle are now by the driveway, along with more gazania clumps, and the lambs ears I have totally spread all over Snowy's bed. All along underneath the apple trees I have planted ajuga after clearing most of the creeping buttercup (big job) as it seems to do well there. Blue pratia is now in Fat Lady Sings bed, polyanthus has moved to by the house, gasterias potted up, rain lillies now by the azalea. Lavender Sidonie is now by the olive and with lambs ears. Mondo grass has been removed and am considering planting it under the Japanese maple, and removing those spider plants. Granny bonnet is now by the other baby grannies. Spider plant removal seems a thing now - no rafters to have hanging baskets!

 I wish I didn't have a dead flat site with buxus hedges because its all very mathematical and boring and 'edgy' but I can't do anything about that unless..I start removing all the buxus, by cutting them all down to stumps and just leave the tall ones by the fence and making the corner ones into topiary instead of big boring box rectangles. Here's a big plant in the shape of a box! I'm like I really have enough of Minecraft obsessed boys at school I don't want to make my eyes any squarer. We already live in a brick house why do the plants have to be shaped like bricks as well? 

That is all, and in case I forgot anything, I'll just have to post about it tomorrow. I was trying to fit it all in today because tomorrow is the first day back of Term 2 and after that I won't have much time for gardening - the cold snap is already on its way...