Sunday 26 March 2023

Plant the planet

 I'm reading a book about rice. Interesting so far. I am a rice-eater. But the book doesn't say how you can grow rice. I mean I eat the finished product, but how can I grow my own rice?  It's dead easy to grow potatoes, you can just chuck them in the ground when they start sprouting. But if there was ever a rice shortage and all the shipments of rice stopped, what would I (or more importantly mum) eat? 

Dad wouldn't care. He would just subsist on potato chips and ice cream. Now there's plant based ice cream and I have to say that I can't really tell the difference between that and ice cream that comes from a cow. Having never milked a cow I sometimes wonder if I should really be drinking so much milk, seeing I'm not a baby anymore, but dad can't break the habit of a lifetime of buying milk, butter and cheese. 

I'm curious about where my food comes from if I haven't picked it from the garden. I've just eaten a juicy mango that says its from Peru. If only I could grow mango here. I would be eating them everyday. 

The feijoas are now ready to pick up and they are fat this year. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with my pruning? Mum thought I pruned to much but that tree is the one that usually produces small thimble sized feijoas. 

I won a $10 Kings voucher for coming 3rd in Best Blooms at garden club. I spent it on an echinacea, and granny bonnets. I have 50 cents leftover. I hope they do well as I'm never sure what plants will take in the border which has always had creeping buttercup take over. I transplanted lychnis to by the fence and took out all the aristeas. There's another clump by the magnolia that I might remove too. 

Then chopped down the maguerite daisies, scented geranium and did general bed clearance in Snowy's bed. I transplanted a penstemon that was struggling in the shade. So in general planting musical chairs. I'm glad I don't have a garden manager bossing me around saying I can't do this or that or saying I have to ask permission to change anything. Or is it mum. 

I'm very unhappy at the moment. I'm not sure why. I have a great job that pays well, but...I'm wondering if I am ever able to do what I really want to do if I have to seek permission to do anything. I think it would be nice if I was treated like an adult for once. I decide to grin and bear it before I fall into a deep depression again. Things could be worse, I could be living in a 40 storey apartment building in Hong Kong with not a scrap of earth and a long way to fall down.