Tuesday 19 October 2021

Blooming lovely


 My flower garden is blooming! It's the best I've ever seen it this spring that I can't even blog about it because I won't do it justice writing about it! Or even taking photos of it. Hmm unless I open an instagram account and then there will be flowers being posted every second one opens. 

However I've harvested many different flowers to press in my flower book - in which I found that the weedy creeping buttercup keeps it's golden yellow colour best of all.

I'm super excited that my POPPY has finally flowered, the first time I've been able to grow one. It's a bright orange Iceland one popping (excuse the pun) among the blue forget-me-nots. 

Echium has done its dash so I've cut the flower spikes down and just left a few to go to seed while now it's lavender and dutch iris turn for purple glory. The sweet peas are coming and soon there will be posies to gather. 

Hector, one of our Planet FM radio hosts has asked Karyn and I for a chat (if we ever get out of lockdown) about plants on his show, broadcasting for the Konkani community. He's studying horticulture. I gave him a few weed IDs to help him complete his assignment. 

I do miss my Floral Club and Community Garden a bit, but time being spent going to meetings and working bees and what not is just now spent enjoying my own garden. I guess there's really no place like home. 

My next door neighbours did a surprising thing. Gardening! They replanted their lavender shrubs by the house to grace the plum and pear trees next to the fence..and the taro is now planted in a row in their front yard. Then their side of the house weed bed they covered over in weed mat. So maybe prayers are coming true, if they really get into gardening, maybe some of my plants can 'jump the fence' and we'll have gardens on BOTH sides of the driveway. Martha would help them out for sure with the fertilising and bug eating jobs.  She's been getting a bit restless and wanting to break the rules and visit cousin's chickens across the road.  Mum had to call her back with the big stick (the floor mop). 

Well, I am quietly optimistic that we will save the planet..one garden at a time.