Thursday 8 June 2023

Hibernation

 The days are getting shorter and the nights longer, only a couple more weeks and then it will be winter solstice. Already there are plans to bring snow to Massey for children to experience what it's like to freeze - symptoms of 'climate change' perhaps? 

I never really got why it was called climate change since the climate changes all the time in Auckland. You never know from one day to the next what it will be like, sometimes there will be four seasons in one day. Be prepared for anything, wear your shorts AND your puffy jacket, it's advised. 

I haven't been doing any gardening at all and should probably even be off to Fiji now, enjoying my extended holidays. But then I wonder if I'll be doing anything different in Fiji to what I would do at home, laze around and read books. (Fiji is just one of those random places I've never been to that's all). I don't actually know anybody in Fiji, nor have they invited me over. 

Walking around the garden today, I noticed my camellia is flowering pink, the magnolia is budding, and eerlicheer has cropped up, even the gladioli are making a showing. What's going on? Is spring here early? I've still got tulips chilling in the fridge. Maybe I should put them in the ground, though I haven't thought of where yet.  David's organised another planting day for 18 June at Riverpark reserve. So that  at least will be one thing I'll be doing. 

For my birthday Kings gave me $10 to spend and I promptly spent it on gardening gloves. Otherwise, there hasn't been much gardening of late to speak of, everything's awaiting Matariki. This holding pattern is just those barren periods a gardener goes through as birds fly north for winter (if they can get that far) but being terrestrial I don't have that option. Jo from Planet FM contacted me about Garden Planet will we be back on air with fresh programs soon? 

Will I ever make it to Taranaki this year for Garden Festival? 

Watch this space.