Thursday 26 January 2023

Raincheck

 It seems churlish to make another blog post that it's raining but..what else can you do when it's bucketing down outside? We had a few nice days and then WHAM. Summer over. Back to school everyone. Except for me of course. 

This is alright. I am having a welcome reprieve from the demands of school life. It's just if I don't go back to school whether for work or for study, what am I going to do, stay home? You know how mum feels about that. I will never hear the end of it. Plus, there is not much more space left that I can garden, after having squeezed in some pots of basil that Jacqui has given me. I will have to expand out into the reserve. 

Nobody wants to hear from another rambling garden blogger - there are too many of us. On Tuesday my garden club met again at Karen's house for a catch up. What are you going to do? asked one of the old-timers. I think she was hoping I would say 'I'm going to give up being a librarian and work for an old lady who can't garden anymore and be paid peanuts'. But I just said when she hinted at it that I had been there, done that, and been treated poorly so it was not something I would ever do again. Besides, I would rather do my own garden than somebody else's. Why do somebody else's and then not have any creative control or input over the garden? I didn't want to spray poison just because an old lady didn't want to do it but wanted the weeds gone instantly.

The old-timer shut up after that. Then the talk turned to Jacinda Ardern's resignation. Oh we know HER background and agenda, she scoffed. Really, what do you mean? I and others asked. For some, Jacinda had saved New Zealand, if not the planet. 

The old-timer said she's a Commie. 

I was like, that's nothing new - the entire Labour Party is. Tell us something we don't know. 

I remember when John Key resigned. He also needed time off from the demands of being PM. I had thought he might want to do some gardening, but he sold his Parnell mansion and word on the street is that it has fallen into rack and ruin, and weeds are growing everywhere. 

Nevermind. I didn't really want to garden John Key's mansion grounds anyway. It's not like he would make a good boss or knew much about gardening. His former estate was a typical clipped hedge and topiary mini palazzo anyway. Not my style of gardening. 

I wondered what Jacinda would do now she was free. Perhaps she would join the PTA or at least be invited to Neve's BOT at her new school? Though she might find that they no longer have a library or a librarian. I had warned her about this but she never replied to my email.